st: Re: Foreach when dealing with a list of observations

Subject   st: Re: Foreach when dealing with a list of observations
Date   Sat, 29 Mar 2008 13:59:04 -0400

First, you are going about this in a very unStatalike manner -- you do not need a loop. Second, your use of foreach is clearly not following the allowed syntax as shown in help foreach (no -if- allowed).

Here is a non-looping way of doing this, assuming that mutcode is either 0 or 1:

by rin (mutcode): gen byte evermut=(mutcode[_N]==1)
drop if evermut

which can be reduced to just 1 line if you don't want to check through to be sure that the proper observations are flagged:
by rin (mutcode): drop if mutcode[_N]==1

This approach won't work if mutcode takes on missing values. In that case, you may want to look at egen functions like max and total which could easily identify groups that meet your criteria.

Michael Blasnik

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sander" <[email protected]>