Re: st: Combining date and time into one variable.

From   Svend Juul <SJ@SOCI.AU.DK>
Subject   Re: st: Combining date and time into one variable.
Date   Fri, 28 Mar 2008 16:05:55 +0100

ippab wrote:
I have two variables, one indicating date and another indicating time
of the day.  For example, date = 03/26/2008 and time = 17:31:30.  I am
wondering how I can combine these two variables into one variable so
that I can use the new "Datetime" variable for tis.
My understanding is that 'tis' command (for panel data or time series
analysis) only accepts one variable.  Since I have several
observations for a panel on the same day, I need to make sure both
date and time are used as the time variable.
You must tell us more:
1. What version of Stata do you use? Concerning date and time,
Stata 10 is different from Stata 9.
2. The type of the variables -date- and -time-. Are they numeric
variables displayed in date and time formats, or are they strings?
Svend Juul
Vennelyst Boulevard 6
DK-8000 Aarhus C,  Denmark
Phone, work:   +45 8942 6090