Re: st: Automatically increasing graph hight to accommodate longnotes?

From   "Raymond P. Guiteras" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Automatically increasing graph hight to accommodate longnotes?
Date   Wed, 26 Mar 2008 10:22:47 -0400

Giving this one more try:

Is there a standard height for each line of a note in a graph?

Actually, I guess this would depend on the text size chosen, but there should be some way to figure this out. With this and the knowledge of the number of lines (easily obtained in the auto-wrap code below), it would be easy to increase the height accordingly.

Raymond P. Guiteras wrote:

Hi Maarten,

Thank you very much for your pointer to Mr. Wiggins's talk. I think that will be very helpful for standardizing my graphs.

However, unless I am missing something, I don't think it provides guidance as to how to solve my particular problem. That is, I can use a scheme to increase my graph height to some fixed number Y, but what I would really like to do is have Y vary based on the length of the note. As I mentioned, I can store the length of the note (either number of characters or number of lines) in local macros using my little auto-wrap code below.

Is there a standard height for each line of a note? If I knew that, perhaps a solution would be to increase the graph height by that amount for each line after the second one (the standard graph permits 2 lines of notes before you run past the boundary).

Once I figure that out, I will definitely incorporate it into a scheme!

Best,
Raymond

Maarten buis wrote:

--- "Raymond P. Guiteras" <[email protected]> wrote:
I often append very long notes to Stata graphs and would like to increase the graph height to accommodate these notes. This is fairly straightforward on a case-by-case basis using --ysize()--. However, I

would like to be slightly more efficient by somehow automating this process, so that it is not necessary to fiddle with the argument of
the --ysize()-- command should the length of the note change.

Does anyone have suggestions for how to proceed?

It may be useful to mention that I can store the number of lines the note takes up in a local macro (e.g. `b' in the sample code below).
Vince Wiggins gave a talk titled "Scheming your way to consistent
graphs" at the UK Stata Users' Group Meeting in 2006 that might be
useful. You can download the talk at:
http://www.stata.com/meeting/12uk/abstracts.html

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Ps. Stata Users' Group Meetings are a great way of picking up tips and
tricks, and a way to meet some of the persons you only know as an email
adress on statalist. The next meeting is on Saturday March 29 in
Warsaw. Other upcomming meetings are announced here:
http://www.stata.com/meeting/ (and ofcourse on the statalist).

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081