st: xtabond with unbalanced panel

From   "Benjamin Klo�" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: xtabond with unbalanced panel
Date   Wed, 26 Mar 2008 11:34:14 +0100

Dear Statalists,

I am trying to estimate a dynamic growth regression with both endogenous and predetermined variables.

gdp(t) = (1+b)gdp(t-1) + X(t-1) + fe + e(t)

Being a beginner in stata I was wondering if you could help me with the following two questions:

1.) To use difference GMM I use the following command

xtabond gdp, endogenous(x....) pre(lprimary lseconday ltertiary)

where the latter referes to lagged education attainment rates and x for population growth, say.

With this specification I do not seem to pass the Sargan test and was wondering if anyone has a suggestion as to how to reformulate the command to increase my chances of passing the test.

2) My panel (N=89 T=9) is unbalanced. How does xtabond accounts for that / how do I adjust my estimators to use the entire dataset without having to drop unbalanced observations.

many thanks in advance!
Ideal f�r Modem und ISDN: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/smartsurfer