Re: st: clogit data format

From   "Arne Risa Hole" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: clogit data format
Date   Thu, 20 Mar 2008 16:10:29 +0000

Hi Margaret,

As Nick suggests it is hard to say what the reason for the discrepancy
is without knowing more details about your application. Judging from
the example on the website you referred to, however, I think the
explanation might be that -clogit- can be used to estimate two very
different models: the fixed effects logit model (which can also be
estimated using -xtlogit, fe-) and McFadden's choice model (which can
also be estimated using the new -asclogit- command). In the example it
is shown how McFadden's model can be estimated using both -clogit- and
PHREG but from the description you gave it sounds like what you want
is a fixed effects logit. -clogit- is still appropriate but PHREG is
probably not, although I don't know this for certain.

As a side note it is slightly unfortunate in my opinion that Stata has
a single estimation command for these very different models (even
though they are, of course, identical from a computational point of
view). I suspect the addition of the -asclogit- command in Stata 10 is
an attempt to reduce the confusion that the -clogit- command has
caused as there is now a dedicated command for each model.

Hope this helps.

Arne