Re: RE: st: Creating space delimited ASCII data files

From   "Joseph Coveney" <[email protected]>
To   "Statalist" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: RE: st: Creating space delimited ASCII data files
Date   Mon, 10 Mar 2008 11:22:26 +0900

Barth Riley wrote:

This is the syntax I used:

outfile using "C:\Documents and Settings\...\data.txt", nolabel wide

When I executed this command a second time, I did not get an error message.
However, the resulting text file when opened does not appear to be an ASCII
file in fixed column format (it appears instead to either be in Stata data
file format or in raw format).

[redacted]

I think that Svend (and the FAQ) meant posting something more like the
following:

. sysuse auto, clear
(1978 Automobile Data)

. keep make-mpg

. keep in 1/2
(72 observations deleted)

. outfile using "C:\Temp\data.txt", nolabel wide

. type "C:\Temp\data.txt"
"AMC Concord"             4099        22
"AMC Pacer"               4749        17

. infile str17 make price mgp using "C:\Temp\data.txt", clear
(2 observations read)

. list

    |        make   price   mgp |
 1. | AMC Concord    4099    22 |
 2. |   AMC Pacer    4749    17 |

.

It sometimes helps to type -update- and report the currently installed dates
of the executable and ado-files, too.

Joseph Coveney