st: independnet variable (not normally distributed)

From   Mohammed El Faramawi <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: independnet variable (not normally distributed)
Date   Sat, 8 Mar 2008 09:56:36 -0800 (PST)

Hi,
I have  questions about the independent variable
transformation.
I have an independent variable (lead mg/dl) which is
not normally distributed. I am trying to run it in a
cox hazard model the out come is mortality. What
should I do with lead
1) Should I log transform it? I did that but it is
still not normally ditributed after transformatin.
2) Leave it as it is because transformation does not
change the distribution?
3) categorize using quartiles or percentiles?
Thank you

Looking for last minute shopping deals?