Re: st: Measure of Variability in a Nominal Variable

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Measure of Variability in a Nominal Variable
Date   Mon, 3 Mar 2008 21:27:28 +0000 (GMT)

--- Kevin Daley <> wrote:
>    I would like to ask if anyone can identify and/or tell me how to
> run a certain descriptive statistic in Stata.  I am working with a
> nominal variable and would like to provide some indication of the
> variability within the sample along this variable.  I would like to
> use a statistic discussed by Agresti in his categorical data analysis
> book that gives the probability that two randomly selected
> independent observations in a given dataset will end up in different
> categories of the given variable.  The statistic has a minimum value
> of 0 and a maximum value of J-1.  Can anyone tell me what this
> descriptive statistic is called?  More importantly, can anyone tell
> me the order needed to run it in Stata? Thank you very much, Kevin.

If it is a probability than the maximum is 1. So

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081
1081 HV Amsterdam