st: Measure of Variability in a Nominal Variable

From   "Kevin Daley" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Measure of Variability in a Nominal Variable
Date   Mon, 3 Mar 2008 14:54:32 -0500

Hi all,

   I would like to ask if anyone can identify and/or tell me how to run a certain descriptive statistic in Stata.  I am working with a nominal variable and would like to provide some indication of the variability within the sample along this variable.  I would like to use a statistic discussed by Agresti in his categorical data analysis book that gives the probability that two randomly selected independent observations in a given dataset will end up in different categories of the given variable.  The statistic has a minimum value of 0 and a maximum value of J-1.  Can anyone tell me what this descriptive statistic is called?  More importantly, can anyone tell me the order needed to run it in Stata? Thank you very much, Kevin.