Re: st: Critical values for stock and yogo test when the clusteroption is used

From   "Danny Cohen-Zada" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Critical values for stock and yogo test when the clusteroption is used
Date   Thu, 28 Feb 2008 09:56:43 +0200

As you recommended me i came to conclusion that my instruments are weak. Therefore, i used condivreg to perform the conditinal likelihood ratio test. According to this test the pvalue is 0.000. However, this procedure doesn't have a cluster option. Is the conditional ratio test valid (when one have to cluster the standard errors)?

Best,

Danny

----- Original Message ----- From: "Schaffer, Mark E" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 11:08 PM
Subject: RE: st: Critical values for stock and yogo test when the clusteroption is used

Danny,

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of
Danny Cohen-Zada
Sent: 27 February 2008 20:39
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Critical values for stock and yogo test when
the clusteroption is used

Thank you very very much

I have one last question.

Actually, i am estimating an ivprobit model (with cluster)
and with one endogenous regressor and one excluded
instrument. Since I know there is no test for weak instrument
for ivprobit i run ivreg2 only to check that my instrument
are not weak (I thought this is the best test that i can
perform). I estimate ivprobit with maximum likelihood and not
with the two stage option. Thus, the first stage is slightly
different. Actually, in this estimation the f-statistic on
the exluded instrument is higher than that obtained with the
two stage procedure of ivreg. Should i compare the
f-statistic on the excluded instrument (from the maximum
likelyhood ivprobit
model) to the critical value, or should i take the
f-statistic from the first stage of the ivreg procedure?
I'm not aware of any studies of weak identification for ivprobit
estimation.  Unless you can find something, you're on your own.

That said, Leandro Magnusson (now at Tulane) has done some interesting
work on weak identification with limited dependent variable models:

http://www.econ.brown.edu/students/Leandro%5FMagnusson/Research.html

Cheers,
Mark

Prof. Mark Schaffer
Director, CERT
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh EH14 4AS
tel +44-131-451-3494 / fax +44-131-451-3296
email: [email protected]
web: http://www.sml.hw.ac.uk/ecomes

Thanks again

Danny