st: Re: Memory, Stata 10, and 32-bit XP

From   "Michael Blasnik" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Re: Memory, Stata 10, and 32-bit XP
Date   Thu, 21 Feb 2008 15:30:27 -0500

With Stata 9/SE, I was able to allocate 1200m-1350m under WinXP32 but can now allocate about 1750m under Vista32 (with 4GB installed). It is perhaps the only reason to think about switching to Vista (it does take a couple of weeks to figure out how to disable all the stuff you don't want to use, and there are still compatibility problems with some older applications).

I haven't yet moved to Stata 10 and I wonder if other people find that v10 can't load as large datasets as v9 under Windows?

Michael Blasnik

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sylvain Friederich" <>
To: <>
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2008 3:16 PM
Subject: st: Memory, Stata 10, and 32-bit XP

Dear all,

I am running v10 on a desktop under 32-bit XP (SP2),
Xeon dual-core chip, 4 GB of RAM.

I know that more than 2.1 GB can't actually be
addressed under Win XP 32-bit.

I've read
so I also know that I may not be able to claim
remotely so much under 32-bit XP.

The peculiarity I am facing is that I can always
request 1004m max, and never more.

Now yesterday I installed v9 to implement the check
suggested on the FAQ page. The result is that under v9
I can exactly claim 1197m and never 1198. That's about
200 MB more than under v10, so in that sense it checks
but again I seem to come across a hard limit that
never varies.