st: Re: 2SLS with probit in the first stage regression

From   Kit Baum <>
Subject   st: Re: 2SLS with probit in the first stage regression
Date   Sat, 16 Feb 2008 07:07:35 -0500

I guess I don't understand your setup. You're using xtreg, which is appropriate for panel data. If the original regression is

.xtreg y training meanworkplacetraining x2 x3 x4

and there is a possibility that training is endogenous, you definitely are violating the key assumption of the random-effects model, that the regressors are distributed independently of the errors. You should be estimating this equation allowing for endogeneity of the suspected variable, and need to perform a Hausman test of the appropriateness of the key assumption. You can do the Hausman test by estimating the model with -xtivreg- using RE and FE. If you find that the RE assumption cannot be maintained, then use - xtivreg2- with fixed effects and use the -endog()- option to test whether the endogeneity is an issue.