Re: Re: st: drop redundant value labels

From   "David Elliott" <>
Subject   Re: Re: st: drop redundant value labels
Date   Fri, 15 Feb 2008 23:25:44 -0400

In the same vein, I have been looking for a less than brute force way
to drop individual value definitions for values which are no longer in
my data.  For example, I have a data set that has literally thousands
of code descriptions that have been encoded.  When I subsequently
-keep- only a few values, I still have all the parent dataset's values
defined which can represent a significant overhead in the resulting
dataset.  I'd like to reduce the value definitions to only those that
still have corresponding values.

As I stated above, I can use a brute force approach of cycling through
individual label value definitions and dropping (-lab def mydef # "" ,
modify- where # is a value no longer in the dataset), but suspect
there is a more elegant way to do this.