Re: st: Issue with multiple imputation -ICE-

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Issue with multiple imputation -ICE-
Date   Wed, 13 Feb 2008 13:26:06 +0000 (GMT)

--- René Wevers <> wrote:
> For instance I am estimating missing variables for the full time
> equivalent (FTE) of employees of a company mainly based on the
> absolute number of employees. (Logically) the absolute number of
> employees is never below zero. Also when I run a regression between
> the FTE number and absolute number I get a highly significant
> relation with positive coefficient and a positive constant estimates.
> Nevertheless when I run -ice-, the imputed values are extremely often
> (far) below zero (!!!).

Such a pattern can occur when the absolute number of employees have
received the value 0 when it actually should have been missing: than
you are extrapolating the number of FTEs for a company with 0
employees, which could very well be negative.

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081