Re: st: histogram height as avg of another variable

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: histogram height as avg of another variable
Date   Wed, 13 Feb 2008 08:45:49 +0000 (GMT)

Have a look at -graph bar-. If the variable along x is continuous you
can create your own grouped variable, and use that in the -over- option
in -graph bar-.

Hope this helps,

--- Prashant Loyalka <> wrote:

> Hi,
> I would like to create histogram(-type) graphs where the baseline
> axis is
> one variable (say x) and the height of each bin is an average of
> another
> variable (say y). The average of the y variable is based on the
> observation
> points within the bin as decided by a set binwidth along x. I would
> also like
> to be able to adjust the bindwidth size (a constant bindwidth size,
> i.e.) and the starting point of the bins along the x axis--also so
> that each bin can be centered around the midpoint of the binwidth.
> Does Stata have this capability? If so, under what commands?
> If not, could someone offer some guidance about how to program this?
> Thank you!
> *
> *   For searches and help try:
> *
> *
> *

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081
1081 HV Amsterdam
The Netherlands

visiting address:

+31 20 5986715

Support the World Aids Awareness campaign this month with Yahoo! For Good