st: simple question on the use of an instrument

From   Renuka Metcalfe <>
To   statalist <>
Subject   st: simple question on the use of an instrument
Date   Mon, 11 Feb 2008 11:48:36 +0000 (GMT)

Dear All

I want to know if one should use a variable, say, job
security provided to employees in workplaces, in its
entirety as an instrument when testing whether one of
the regressor is endogenous or have a dummy set = 1 if
they have been provided job security and 0 if they
have not and use job security variable set = 1 in my
regressions. I would be grateful, if anyone would let
me know which of the above is the correct way to do

Many thanks in advance