st: R: Jackknife bias and standard errors

From   "Carlo Lazzaro" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: R: Jackknife bias and standard errors
Date   Sat, 9 Feb 2008 12:09:32 +0100

Dear Daniel,
about your questions:

- the bad news: as far as I am concerned, there's no way to obtain from
Stata the bias equation 11.3 mentioned in Efron B, Tibshirani RJ. An
Introduction to the bootstrap. New York: Chapman & Hall, 1993: p. 141 (BTW:
I would strongly recommend you to report the full reference of the
articles/texts supporting your analysis, since Statalisters are from far
different professional/academic clusters: this will probably increase your
reply score);

- the good news: you can obtain directly from Stata the jackknife standard
error estimate, according to the equation 11.5 reported in the same page of
the abovementioned textbook (please, see example below):
sysuse auto.dta
sum  mpg
return list
scalar mean=r(mean)
jackknife r(mean), nodots saving(C:\Documents and
Settings\carlo\Documenti\Statistiche\Stata\jackknife.dta, every(1) double
replace) verbose : sum  mpg
Eventually, two more advice may sound useful:
take a look to Stata manual Reference A-J (I refer to Stata 9 release) and
see the examples for -jackknife- (however, I suppose that you have already
scan these pages);
-why don't you consider to switch to bootstrap from jacknife? In Efron &
Tibshirani textbook (pag. 145-146) there is an interesting paragraph (11.5)
explaining pros and cons of both these approaches.

HTH and Kind Regards,