Re: st: optimal configuration for windows 32/64

From   Jeph Herrin <>
Subject   Re: st: optimal configuration for windows 32/64
Date   Thu, 07 Feb 2008 22:41:08 -0500

I think to allocate 2gb of memory, you'll need 64bit stata
on a 64bit OS.

Julio Estevez wrote:
Dear all

I have been searching the statalist archives looking for advice on
optimal configuration to run stata in a windows 32 bit and in a
windows 64 bit environments, but I did not got a clear answer to my

I need to work with census data uploading into memory about 2
gigabites of data. My questions are the following

1. should I go for windows 64 instead of windows 32? 2. If I go for a
Microsoft 64 OS, would I notice a performance improvement if i switch
from a stata 32bit to stata 64bit? 2. Any advice about the best
processor around? I have around US$ 4000 to spend in a computer that
can allow me to work at reasonable speeds with a census database.

I appreciate your help

_________________________________________________________________ Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today it's
* * For searches and help try: * * *