st: optimal configuration for windows 32/64

From   Julio Estevez <>
To   <>
Subject   st: optimal configuration for windows 32/64
Date   Thu, 7 Feb 2008 20:50:31 -0500

Dear all

I have been searching the statalist archives looking for advice on optimal configuration to run stata in a windows 32 bit and in a windows 64 bit environments, but I did not got a clear answer to my queries.

I need to work with census data uploading into memory about 2 gigabites of data. My questions are the following

1. should I go for windows 64 instead of windows 32?
2. If I go for a Microsoft 64 OS, would I notice a performance improvement if i switch from a stata 32bit to stata 64bit?
2. Any advice about the best processor around? I have around US$ 4000 to spend in a computer that can allow me to work at reasonable speeds with a census database.

I appreciate your help