Re: st: RE: Re: strange world

Subject   Re: st: RE: Re: strange world
Date   Wed, 9 Jan 2008 10:24:01 -0500

Nick and Ron�n--
Indeed it would be hard to specify a uniformly best parsing of logical
statements that contain missing;  the examples below are merely
suggestive of some of the problems you might run into.

 di 0|.
 di 1|.
 di 0&.
 di 1&.
 di (0|.)!=(1|.)
 di max(0,.)!=(1|.)

But the point, IMHO, is that a warning message that says "n missing
values evaluated" or somesuch, meaning n observations had a missing
value in at least one component, would at least remind users to check
their logic to see if they correctly anticipated the implications of
missingness in each component.  Were I to pick up the gauntlet Nick
has thrown down (write your own and put it on SSC, in other words), I
would probably also add an option to show an example of one of those
observations and its output in the expression evaluated, and perhaps
to create an indicator for all such observations. Nothing more than a
warning should be expected of Stata, in any case.