st: Re: strange world

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   stata list <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: strange world
Date   Tue, 8 Jan 2008 21:04:19 +0000 (GMT)

-- Nick Cox writes

-- "Steichen, Thomas J." wrote:
> I suspect StataCorp's programmers could minimize the impact.
> However, even if they could not implement the change without
> breaking some of my code, I'd rather pay the price of rewriting
> code than continue risking a bad analysis.

Problem is that it is not just that your code that will be broken but
that virtually every .do and .ado file ever written will need to be
checked. This leads to two considerations:
1) Such a change would be a huge investment by StataCorp, which I think
is much better spent in other areas.
2) For a very long time the "risk of bad analysis" will actually
greatly increase due to the huge amount of user writen .ado, .do files
and old habits that have not been adapted to the new convention of
dealing with missing values.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam