Re: st: RE: Stata stops recognizing basic commands

From   jo la frite <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Stata stops recognizing basic commands
Date   Wed, 12 Dec 2007 03:44:42 -0800 (PST)

Thanks for your response Nick.I don't have further information because the problem happened suddenly: I was running a program (no problem then); when it stopped I restarted the PC and launched another Stata program and this one had the problem I described. The only unsual thing is that when the PC was shutting down I got an error message from Windows indicating that there were some problems on my external hard drive (my Stata program uses data and stores output on an external drive) which windows was checking. The check was ok and the pc shut down and restarted. Is this informative?

If I re-install Stata do I risk of losing files that I have installed from the web?
If is important to update to sata 9.2?

thanks!
jo

----- Original Message ----
From: Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 12:32:26 PM
Subject: st: RE: Stata stops recognizing basic commands

Sorry, but there is insufficient information here to diagnose your
problem.
Whatever it is, you will probably need to reinstall Stata (and
then -update- to Stata 9.2).

jo la frite

I am having a strange problem with Stata (Stata/SE 9.0 for Windows, I
have WIndow XP). Suddenly, Stata stopped recognizing basic commands such
as "clear". Programs that used to work are interrupted at various stages
due to unrecognized basic commands. For example, I get the message :
"unrecognized command:  _gmin ". I don't understand what is going on and
I am worried about my programs and system . Can anyone help please?
Thanks!

*
*  For searches and help try:
*  http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/findit.html