RE: st: RE: Stata stops recognizing basic commands

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Stata stops recognizing basic commands
Date   Wed, 12 Dec 2007 12:21:49 -0000

You add some extra information here, but given that it is
not Statalist but whoever provides your IT support who can help best.

My own computer arrangements nearly collapsed a few weeks ago as a
result of two unrelated hardware problems, and it was
a very painful and time-consuming experience, so I have every
sympathy. But only the local technical people could sort it out,
and that may well be true in your case.

I can't make promises about files you have installed previously.
Much depends on where you put them. If you have a hardware problem,
they may be lost or corrupted already. But I don't think reinstalling
Stata will make anything worse. StataCorp put an enormous amount of
effort into making that process inherently safe.

And yes, updating is a good idea. You gain by extra features and
numerous bug fixes, and lose nothing.

jo la frite

Thanks for your response Nick.I don't have further information because
the problem happened suddenly: I was running a program (no problem
then); when it stopped I restarted the PC and launched another Stata
program and this one had the problem I described. The only unsual thing
is that when the PC was shutting down I got an error message from
Windows indicating that there were some problems on my external hard
drive (my Stata program uses data and stores output on an external
drive) which windows was checking. The check was ok and the pc shut down
and restarted. Is this informative?

If I re-install Stata do I risk of losing files that I have installed
from the web?
If is important to update to sata 9.2?