Re: st: display commands generated within foreach-loop

From   "Svend Juul" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: display commands generated within foreach-loop
Date   Tue, 20 Nov 2007 11:28:10 +0100

Thorsten wrote:

I'm sure my problem has a real simple solution, but
I am unable to find it - how can I actually *see*
the commands generated by a foreach-loop.

Let's say I have the following:

preserve
sysuse auto, clear
foreach x in "mpg" "price" {
ttest `x', by(foreign)
}
restore

In this case, I would like to see

ttest mpg, by(foreign)
... output ...

ttest price, by(foreign)
... output ...

in my logfile, but I don't. All I see is the output of the T-test.

- and Maarten gave useful advice.

However, I think that Thorstens problem illustrates a
design problem with the -ttest- output; the names
of the variables involved ought to be included in the
output.

At least some other commands do that, e.g.:

     foreach x of varlist mpg price {
        tab1 `x'
     }

-tab1- does it right. But -tabulate- is not satisfactory,
it only displays the sometimes ambiguous variable label, not
the unambiguous variable name.

     foreach x of varlist mpg price {
        tabulate `x'
     }

This was for the wishlist: Some af Stata's basics are still
unfinished.

Svend

Svend Juul
Vennelyst Boulevard 6