st: table of study population characteristics

From   Michael McCulloch <>
To   Statalist <>
Subject   st: table of study population characteristics
Date   Tue, 13 Nov 2007 10:15:37 -0800

Dear Statalist members,
I'd like to make a table which tabulates the following study population characteristics:
group (1 or 2)
sex (% female)
age (median)
treated (% yes)
I've studied -tabstat- and -statsmat-, but don't see a capability of tabulating %.

Additionally, I'd like to know whether the following -tabstat- command can be modified to display the sub-headings of price weight on the line below FOREIGN:

sysuse auto, clear
gen weightclass=0
replace weightclass=1 if weight>3000
lab var weightclass Weight
lab def label_weightclass 0 Light 1 Heavy, modify
lab val weightclass label_weightclass
tab weightclass

tabstat price, by(foreign)
sort weightclass
by weightclass: tabstat price weight, stats(count mean median min max) ///
by(foreign) columns(statistics) nototal

Thank you,

Michael McCulloch
Pine Street Foundation
124 Pine St., San Anselmo, CA 94960-2674
Tel: (415) 407-1357
Fax: (415) 485-1065
* For searches and help try: