Re: st: st : how to treat endogeneous variables with NLSUR

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: st : how to treat endogeneous variables with NLSUR
Date   Wed, 07 Nov 2007 16:13:13 +0100

Thank you for your reply AbdelRhmen,

In fact, my example was just a small one to illustrate my question shortly. The
idea wasn't to interpret it, but just to have an idea of my methodological
problem.

It is true that in reality I have in mind the AIDS system that I used to
estimate with "reg3" when I took the linear index of prices (stone index), but
now, I want to estimate the model with the nonlinear one, that's why I am
interested in the NLSUR command.

I want to instrument Prices and expenditures.

Thank you.

val�rie

/*********************************************************/
I'm not a user of Stata 10 but i have a few remarks on this:
1) It looks like an estimation of AIDS (Almost ideal demand system)
and i don't understand    why you try to instrument log price 2.
2) the theorie bhind the specification of price and it's square lnp2
and lnp2^2 as a regressors in  item 2 of your system is not clear.
3) Usually what is instrumented is the total expenditure (lnexp) price
are supposed exogenous
4) I guess that NLSUR can not treat endogeneity problem
5) conditional on your price index lnP you have a linear system of
equation and you could estimate it by reg3
6) Finally if a suppose that your specification is correct you still
have a linear system just generate P2=lnp2^2 and replace it on your
system
HTH
AbdelRahmen

Selon [email protected]: