Re: st: details of how the impute command work

From   Richard Williams <>
Subject   Re: st: details of how the impute command work
Date   Tue, 06 Nov 2007 18:44:21 -0500

At 04:04 PM 11/6/2007, Tim Hale wrote:
Hi all,

I have a rather simple question. I am trying to figure out exactly
what the -impute- command in Stata does to estimate missing values.
The help files in Stata are not very helpful. From what I have found
on the internet, it appears -impute- is a regression-based method to
estimate missing values based on other variables in the data set.
However, the help files also say that -impute- "organizes the cases by
patterns of missing data so that the missing-value regressions can be
conducted efficiently." Does anyone know what this entails? I need to
include some mention of this in my methods section.
I think that is just a technical detail about how it does its work and is probably not too important for your purposes. -impute- is generally not considered the best way in the world to do things; but if you want to see a discussion of it, look at pp. 10-13 of the following:

Also see the middle of p. 5 for a brief discussion of why -impute- is looked down on by many.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu

* For searches and help try: