st: details of how the impute command work

From   Tim Hale <>
Subject   st: details of how the impute command work
Date   Tue, 6 Nov 2007 15:04:56 -0600

Hi all,

I have a rather simple question. I am trying to figure out exactly what the -impute- command in Stata does to estimate missing values. The help files in Stata are not very helpful. From what I have found on the internet, it appears -impute- is a regression-based method to estimate missing values based on other variables in the data set. However, the help files also say that -impute- "organizes the cases by patterns of missing data so that the missing-value regressions can be conducted efficiently." Does anyone know what this entails? I need to include some mention of this in my methods section.

Thanks for your help,
Tim Hale

Tim Hale
Graduate Assistant