st: re: details on how the impute command works

From   Kit Baum <>
Subject   st: re: details on how the impute command works
Date   Tue, 6 Nov 2007 16:16:46 -0500

Tim said

I have a rather simple question. I am trying to figure out exactly
what the -impute- command in Stata does to estimate missing values.
The help files in Stata are not very helpful. From what I have found
on the internet, it appears -impute- is a regression-based method to
estimate missing values based on other variables in the data set.
However, the help files also say that -impute- "organizes the cases by
patterns of missing data so that the missing-value regressions can be
conducted efficiently." Does anyone know what this entails? I need to
include some mention of this in my methods section.

The description in [D] impute seems quite clear to me.