Re: Re: Re: st: new problem with table display

From   n j cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: Re: Re: st: new problem with table display
Date   Wed, 31 Oct 2007 17:57:18 +0000

I don't see why you think there is much programming
to do with a string identifier. And you've already
reported that alternatives are problematic for you.

Start with a numeric identifier -id-.
Keep a safecopy:

	clonevar safecopyid = id

Convert the identifier to string:

	tostring id, replace

Your name may differ. It is true that any operations
based on numeric comparison will need to be converted
to string comparisons.

An opinion often expressed on this list is that working
consistently with string identifiers saves much grief in
the long run.

Jennifer S. Earl

I was trying to avoid the text string because I would have to change a lot
of the programming to accommodate that. But, I think a compromise is to
keep the program using the ids as doubles until just before I print the
tables and then change the type of to a string at the end. I'll try that
and let folks know if there are unanticipated problems with that route.

--On Wednesday, October 31, 2007 5:21 PM +0000 n j cox