st: new problem with table display

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: new problem with table display
Date   Tue, 30 Oct 2007 17:39:45 +0000 (GMT)

> I had some variable values that were quite long (9905002006 for
> example) that were showing up in scientific notation when I did
> tab <variable> on them. I wanted them to not show up in scientific
> notation and I wanted to be able to get a frequency table.
>
> A statalister suggested that the problem was not with tab command
> display, but rather with the format of the variable. So, I changed
> the format of the variable with:
>
> format <variable> %10.0f
>
> That resolved my problems then (thanks again).
>
> However, the example I gave you above is actually 1-2 digits longer
> than the example that I posted and had resolved (so I had a 8 or 9
> digit length variables before and used %8.0f and %9.0f and that
> resolved things).
>
> Now that my numbers have gone up a placeholder, adjusting the
> formatting to %10.0f doesn't work for the tab format. Oddly, with the
> %10.0f formatting, I can list without values without scientific
> notation, but if I do tab, it goes into scientific notation.

I can reproduce that behavior, see the example below. One solution is
Paul Bern's -bigtab- package, available on ssc (see: -ssc desc
bigtab-).

*------------- begin example ----------
drop _all
input double x
9905002005
9905002006
end
format x %10.0f
tab x
bigtab x
*--------------- end example -----------
(For more on how to use examples I sent to the Statalist, see
http://home.fsw.vu.nl/m.buis/stata/exampleFAQ.html )

Hope this helps,
Maarten

BTW. are you aware that your variable should be stored as a double? If
you don't understand what I am talking about I strongly urge you to
have a look at: http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/Stata/faq/longid.htm

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081