re: st: pwd and graph use bug

From   David Airey <david.airey@Vanderbilt.Edu>
Subject   re: st: pwd and graph use bug
Date   Fri, 26 Oct 2007 21:43:05 -0500

In Stata 10 MP, in OS X the start up directory from double clicking a Stata file is a follows:

.dta = enclosing directory
.do = enclosing directory
.smcl = default ~/Documents directory (why??)
.gph = enclosing directory

Now I think I understand more of my previous post. I expected a graph opened by the Finder should not change my pwd if Stata was already open! But it does.

That makes me wonder what happens when I use the Finder to open a .dta file when Stata is already open. Turns out also changes the pwd, without notice.

I guess this is all fine if you know behavior is different depending on whether you use Stata or the Finder, but I think pwd should not be change automatically like this, except at the outset of starting Stata.

I'd be curious how Linux and Windows behave.

David C. Airey, Ph.D.
Pharmacology Research Assistant Professor
Center for Human Genetics Research Member

* For searches and help try: