From   "josemaria" <jmpsouza@usp.br>
To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   Re: st: How to perform a productory
Date   Mon, 22 Oct 2007 17:00:54 -0300

For the sake of completeness:
Two Brazilian diccionaires for the Portuguese language registry the word "somatório". In statistics and mathematics we use the simbol upper-case Greek sigma. The same diccionaires do not registry "produtório", but we use it in the spoken language and the symbol is the upper-case Geek pi. Then, curiously, we have the symbol to write, the word to speak but not formally the writen word.
Ábraços,
José Maria

José Maria Pacheco de Souza, Professor Titular (aposentado)
Departamento de Epidemiologia
Faculdade de Saúde Pública/Universidade de São Paulo
Av. Dr. Arnaldo, 715 cep 01246-904
São Paulo Brasil
fones (11)3061-7747 (11)3061-7724 (11)3714-2403 (11)3768-8612
fax (11)3082-2920 (11)3714-2403
www.fsp.usp.br/~jmpsouza
jmpsouza@usp.br

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paulo Guimaraes" <guimaraes@moore.sc.edu>
To: <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2007 2:15 PM
Subject: Re: st: How to perform a productory

In Portuguese (from Portugal) the word "produtório" is well known and commonly used. It may be different in Brazil...

Paulo Guimaraes

josemaria wrote:

In Portuguese, we have somatório, same as soma (sum), but we do not have produtório.
José Maria

I Googled "productory" and didn't find anything recognisable.
Perhaps you want a running product.

gen runningproduct = exp(sum(log(K_1)))

Alternatively, if you ask in Italian, somebody should
recognise what you want. There is no "English only" rule.

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk