Re: st: consecutive observation - incomplete panel data (help)

From   "Sebastian F. B�chte" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: consecutive observation - incomplete panel data (help)
Date   Sat, 20 Oct 2007 22:09:39 +0200

Alfred

your problem is somewhat different from the provided resources, but I
think the user written command -tsspell- could also be of some help
for you. For my solution you will need it. So you should install it
from ssc by typing -ssc install tsspell- in your Stata command window.

This is my solution (assuming you panel var is named "id" and you time
var is named "year" and the three variables of interest are named
var1, var2, var3):

tsset id year
tsspell , cond(!(missing(var1) | missing(var2)  | missing(var3)) ///
                & (D.year==1 | _n==1))
bys id: egen maxrun = max(_seq)

// Next: returning number of panels fulfilling the condition to have five
// consecutive observations with no missing data in any of
// the three variables (var1, var2, var3)
quiet tab id if maxrun==5
ret list

I hope this works for you.
Sebastian