st: Re: beginning programming advice

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: beginning programming advice
Date   Tue, 16 Oct 2007 06:19:21 -0400

If you can write down the maximand (or minimand) for your problem, optimize() can work with it. It is not clear to me what that might be. Note in the documentation that "type v" optimizers allow you to work with a vector rather than scalar function. optimize() is general enough to solve a multivariate optimization problem. From the online help:

"In a type v0 evaluator, you return a column vector v such that colsum (v)=f(p)."

If the elements of column vector v are the squared elements of ( (y1 - f(x1)), (y2 - f(x2)), minimizing the column sum of v is the equivalent of solving the two nonlinear equations

y1 = f (x1)
y2 = f (x2)

where some elements of x are shared in x1, x2.

http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html