Re: st: how do peoplelearn Stata?

From   David Airey <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: how do peoplelearn Stata?
Date   Mon, 8 Oct 2007 07:16:50 -0500

I started with Stata 7. I had been using Data Desk, but had gotten to the point of needing to program batch files, and that was not Data Desk. I read the introduction manual and user manual cover to cover. I took the intro to programming net course. I read Hamilton's book. I published using Stata, always a confidence booster. I read and re- read command entries as needed now. I think seeing worked examples that are explained was the best help. To that end, even though stagnated by other demands (but are unable to share and seed a wiki site) the UCLA pages were and are one of the top didactic free aids on the internet for a solid introduction.

-Dave

On Oct 7, 2007, at 2:13 PM, josemaria wrote:

Jos� Maria Pacheco de Souza, Professor Titular (aposentado)
Departamento de Epidemiologia
Faculdade de Sa�de P�blica/Universidade de S�o Paulo
Av. Dr. Arnaldo, 715 cep 01246-904
S�o Paulo Brasil
fones (11)3061-7747 (11)3061-7724 (11)3714-2403 (11)3768-8612
fax (11)3082-2920 (11)3714-2403
www.fsp.usp.br/~jmpsouza
[email protected]

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Sunday, October 07, 2007 2:19 PM
Subject: st: RE: How to convert multiple numeric variables into a single string variable?

A very experienced Stata user who has been
with the program since Stata 1.0 once said
to me (paraphrased):

"I don't know how people learn Stata.
When it was very small you could master the
whole thing, and then you just learned extra
bits as each new version came out. But
I don't know how those coming to the program now
manage at all!"

So, how do people learn Stata? In some ways
it remains a mysterious question.

I am not an experienced Stata user, but I am just a Stata user. I would answer that to learn Stata it is necessary to use Stata. It is what I do, and I really enjoy it.
Jos� Maria
*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/
--
David C. Airey, Ph.D.
Pharmacology Research Assistant Professor

Department of Pharmacology
School of Medicine
Vanderbilt University
Rm 8158A Bldg MR3