st: RE: Do 2sls, ivreg etc. test the rank condition of identification?

Subject   st: RE: Do 2sls, ivreg etc. test the rank condition of identification?
Date   Tue, 2 Oct 2007 09:40:09 +0100

Thomas,

The rank condition is not deterministic, like the order condition.  It's
formulated in terms of expectations - E(Z'X) has full rank - and whereas
the number of columns is observable (order condition), the true value of
this expectation is not.  Instead, you formulate a null hypothesis and
see if the data reject at some p value.  The null is that the sample
counterpart to the expectation - 1/n Z'X - is rank-deficient (has
rank=#columns minus 1), and if you can reject the null, you conclude the
rank condition is satisfied with some probability p.

The rank condition is not automatically checked by -ivreg- (Stata 9.2
and earlier).  -estat firststage- after -ivregress- (Stata 10) will
report identification statistics, but these are valid only for the
i.i.d. case and not if you are using some sort of robust vcv.  -ivreg2-
reports identification tests based on Anderson's canonical correlation
statistic (F form = Cragg-Donald statistic) in the i.i.d. case, and the
Kleibergen-Paap rk statistic for robust case.

-ivreg2- calls -ranktest- to do this, but you can use -ranktest- to do
the test by hand if, e.g., you are doing a 3sls estimation.  -help
ranktest- is perhaps worth reading - the examples show the equivalence
between tests of the rank condition and various regression formulations.

Cheers,
Mark