st: SV: Re: Memory problems when creating a spatial weight matrix

From   "Lina Jonsson" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: SV: Re: Memory problems when creating a spatial weight matrix
Date   Wed, 26 Sep 2007 12:06:27 +0200

Dear statalister.

Sorry I haven�t had time to follow up my question until now.

The memory problem occurs only when using the command for creating the spatial weight matrix (spatwmat). The dataset I�m using consists of only 28 variables - all numerical and dummies (0,1). According to an earlier question concering memory problems when using the spatwmat-command; "-spatwmat- will reset the number of observations to (N/2)*N-1" which means about 320 000 if I�m using a dataset with 800 observations. The advice that is given in the former question is to set memory to a higher value. That is the advice that also is given for my error message "no room to add more variables". But the problem is that I cannot set memory to more then 940m.

I am using Windows XP and have just increased my RAM-memory to 2 GB which had no effect at all on the maximum memory I can set within Stata. As I understand it; the hotfix Michel mentioned is only for Stata 10 and I`m using Intercooled Stata 9.2.

Is anyone having any suggestions on how this problem can be solved or is it not possible to use the spatwmat-command on datasets with 800 observation using "a normal computer". In fact I whould like to use up to 1738 observations but for that I whould need to switch to Stata SE instead of Intercooled Stata due to the fact that Intercooled Stata can set matsize to a maximum of 800. But there is no point in changing to Stata SE if the available memory sets the limit to less than 800 observations...

If Stata can�t handle spatial weight matrices for large datasets, do any of you have any suggestions of other statistical software that can?

Best regards.

/Lina Jonsson