RE: st: Chi-square test for Categorical Data Analysis

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Chi-square test for Categorical Data Analysis
Date   Wed, 19 Sep 2007 19:17:45 +0100

Orthogonal to this, but pertinent, is to note
that Harold Jeffreys' "Theory of probability"
(which might have been called "Bayesian statistics and data
analysis", except that that title was unthinkable
in 1939, when it was first published) has a discussion
of "wishful thinking" as one of the pitfalls
in statistical work.

Arguably every statistical text needs a strong reminder that
"wishful thinking" is a source of many pitfalls.

Austin Nichols