Re: st: Chi-square test for Categorical Data Analysis

From   "Austin Nichols" <>
Subject   Re: st: Chi-square test for Categorical Data Analysis
Date   Wed, 19 Sep 2007 14:05:20 -0400

David Radwin <>:
Any technique may lead you astray, but the technique you describe is,
I suspect, demonstrably inferior to others.  The reference you cite
applies only to estimating the mean or median of an open-ended
category with a Pareto distribution, and its abstract says that "the
choice of method and the selection of a mean or median estimator for
the open-ended category midpoint have substantial effects on analyses
in which income is the dependent variable."

The -intreg- approach proposed by Maarten relies on some shaky
assumptions, but I expect it is far preferable to imputing the
midpoint of intervals and testing for a difference in means as if you
have real data.