st: RE: A drawing in Stata Journal

From   "Newson, Roger B" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: A drawing in Stata Journal
Date   Mon, 17 Sep 2007 21:07:49 +0100

I think it is a horse, and it is supposed to be kicking a Prussian
soldier to death. This is an allusion to the famous study by Ladislaus
Von Bortkiewycz, who showed that the number of men in a Prussian
regiment kicked to death by horses in a year was sampled from a
distribution close to a Poisson. This is as we would expect, if there
are a large number of soldiers, all statistically independent, but each
with a small probability of being kicked to death by a horse.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Roger

Roger Newson