Re: st: Memory allocation version 10 versus 9

From   "Sergiy Radyakin" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Memory allocation version 10 versus 9
Date   Thu, 13 Sep 2007 16:01:26 +0200

Hello Mr. Peng,

a number of developers have released "Memory Defragmenters". Most of
them claim to be able to defragment memory/unload unnecessary DLLs,
etc. Do you have any experience with any of these programs? Is this a
potential solution?

Alternatively, since 32-bit machines are going to be around for a
while, why not allow Stata to work with non-continuous memory
allocation? I can understand the benefits of having the whole dataset
in memory, but why should it be continuous? The whole dataset may
still be hold in memory, but there will be no problem with memory
fragmentation. Since the issue seems to be with Windows, other
developers have to face the same problems and there might be already a
suitable solution for that (working with photos and video can eat GBs
in no time, and even MS Messenger seems to be using more DLLs than
Stata does <--showdep). In the worst-case scenario, the whole dataset
can be represented as a set of pointers and data containers occupying
as little as several bytes each.

As for unpredictibility of the memory allocation here is a quote from MS:

"/REBASE This option sets the base addresses for the specified files.
EDITBIN assigns new base addresses in a contiguous address space
according to the size of each file rounded up to the nearest 64 KB.
For details about base addresses, see the Base Address (/BASE) linker
option."

Does this have any impact on the actual addresses of the DLLs?

How about the /PAE and /3GB switches?
Some ramdisk developers claim using 3GB on WinXP32-bit:
http://www.ei-europe.com/Default.aspx?tabid=318#s

Having 600M-900M memory available for data is not cool anymore with
most workstations running Stata having already 2GB+ of physical memory
installed.

I guess the FAQ needs an update on how to effectively overcome
limitations of OS/Stata/Hardware/etc while working with large data,
rather than explaining why it is not possible or another version is
required.

Best regards,
     Sergiy Radyakin