Re: st: suest with large number of fixed effects

Subject   Re: st: suest with large number of fixed effects
Date   Wed, 12 Sep 2007 14:41:14 -0400

Richard Boylan--
Indeed -areg- will mechanically give you an answer when combined with
-suest- but you should be aware that the cluster-robust estimator can
give downward-biased estimates of the true standard deviation of your
estimates, so a smaller p-value after -suest- may be suspect.  Also,
just to be clear, -suest- will not give you more precisely estimated
coefficients since it will not change your estimated coefficients.
Under some circumstances it will give you better estimates of the
standard errors, and those circumstances include having a large number
of clusters and observations.  How large?  That depends...

webuse abdata
areg ys n w k, a(id)
est sto ys
areg wage n w k, a(id)