st: Does Blasnik's Law apply to -use-?

From   "Newson, Roger B" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Does Blasnik's Law apply to -use-?
Date   Wed, 12 Sep 2007 15:03:04 +0100

I have a query re Blasnik's Law, first named in the Statalist archives
by Nick Cox at
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2007-08/msg00668.html
which states that using the -in- qualifier uses less computing time than
the equivalent -if- qualifier. For instance

regress mpg weight in 53/74

uses less time than

regress mpg weight if _n>=53 & _n<=74

because Stata does not have to check every observation in the dataset in
memory the first way, but has to do so the second way. My query is: Does
Blasnik's Law apply to the -use- command? That is to say, does the
statement

use mybigdata.dta in 3959/4030

use much less computing time than the statement

use mybigdata.dta if _n>=3959 & _n<=4030

which should input the same data into the memory? I ask because, as I
understand it, Stata datasets are sequential-access files (unlike SAS
datasets which I understand are random-access, with the option of having
multiple indices), and this should imply that Stata has to read through
observations 1 to 3958 before reading observation 3959.

My motivation is that I wish to streamline the command -parmby-, which
currently processes multiple by-groups by inputting the whole dataset
repeatedly, using the -restore, preserve- command, and then dropping all
by-groups except one. I am trying to think of a better way.

Best wishes (and thanks in advance)

Roger

Roger Newson
Lecturer in Medical Statistics