Re: st: ID creation with shp2dta

From   "Sergiy Radyakin" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: ID creation with shp2dta
Date   Thu, 6 Sep 2007 15:02:36 +0200

Hello Friedrich,

the rule appears to be quite simple:

                if `"`genid'"' != "" {
                        generate long `genid' = _n
                        sort `genid'
                }

it would be quite surprising if you get any variation in the assigned
IDs, but let us know if you do.

Also, if Mr. Kevin Crow from Stata Corp reads this, may I suggest an
option to skip the null-shapes, rather than breaking with an error
message? Some polygon simplification software deletes the polygon
shapes (type 5) and replaces them with null shapes (type 0) which
makes the shape files unsuitable for shp2dta, but the fix is really
simple: just to skip those shapes.

Best regards,
   Sergiy Radyakin