st: ID creation with shp2dta

From   "Friedrich Huebler" <>
Subject   st: ID creation with shp2dta
Date   Wed, 5 Sep 2007 15:56:54 -0400

The program -shp2dta- from SSC converts map shapefiles (SHP and DBF)
to Stata format. I have a question about the -genid(newvarname)-
option. What is the rule for the creation of these IDs? I want to be
certain that the IDs always identify the same geographic regions, no
matter how often -shp2dta- is run to convert the original shapefiles,
because I use the IDs to merge the map files with other data.