st: swapping levels in mixed models

Subject   st: swapping levels in mixed models
Date   Mon, 03 Sep 2007 12:32:18 +0200

In many examples which I found on the web using SAS or Stata, the student-level outcome is predicted using student-level and school-level covariates.
Is it insane to ask Stata, e.g. to predict school-level number of students passing the math exam (or their percentage on the number of enrolled students) using information about gender and socio-economic status?
If no, can I just use a school-level y or should I modify the usual command syntax in -gllamm- (and how)?