Re: RE: st: tempfile already exists

From (William Gould, StataCorp LP)
Subject   Re: RE: st: tempfile already exists
Date   Fri, 31 Aug 2007 10:35:32 -0500

Steven Stillman wrote,
> As an aside to this post, I learned the hard way a few months ago why
> -save `tempfile', replace - should be avoided in most circumstances.
> If the macro tempfile is undefined, say because you have misspelled
> it [...], this reduces to -save, replace- which will overwrite the
> dataset you are working with.
> BTW, has statacorp ever thought about altering save so it requires a
> dataset name?  [...]

Steven is right about the problem and his suggestion is spot on.

In Stata 11, we will modify Stata so that -save, replace- is no longer
valid syntax except under verison control, and we will introduce new
command -resave- equivalent to the current -save, replace-.

-- Bill