st: Multiple Stata sessions on one machine

From   "Sergiy Radyakin" <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: Multiple Stata sessions on one machine
Date   Wed, 29 Aug 2007 11:45:58 -0400

Hello Statalisters,

Some technical questions about multiple Stata sessions:

1. Can I determine if another copy of Stata is running?
2. Can I check if it is busy or idle? (ideally three states:
idle-command-prompt, idle-dialog-on-screen, busy-computing-something)
3. Can I check if it is running my do file in it?
4. Can I do it more elegantly then creating files with predefined
names and checking if they exist?
5. The do-file remains protected when -browse- shows a data browser.
Is this behaviour intended? I thought the do file will be cached in
(see help adosize) similarly to ado files and datasets, and closed.
(size of the do-file is 12 bytes):
di "!"

However attempts to delete this file fail, while data browser is active.

Thank you,
       Sergiy Radyakin