Re: st: html format postings to Statalist

From   Phil Schumm <>
Subject   Re: st: html format postings to Statalist
Date   Thu, 23 Aug 2007 14:53:23 -0500

On Aug 23, 2007, at 12:39 PM, Schaffer, Mark E wrote:
I have a question for you - how did you manage to send an email to Statalist in html format? According to the FAQ,

it shouldn't have gone through.

Although we don't use Majordomo (the software used to host Statalist), we do maintain a large number of research-oriented mailing lists, and, like Statalist, we too have a strict policy of no HTML-formatted email. In our case, we use a script to identify HTML- formatted messages and to strip out the HTML tags, leaving the raw text in place. Part of this process obviously involves detecting when a message contains HTML, and that is not a perfect process, since the HTML sent by mailers can often be pretty ugly (this is one of the reasons for disallowing HTML-formatted posts). IOW, whenever attempting to detect HMLT-formatted email programmatically, both false positives and false negatives are possible. I have no idea whether that is the answer in this case.

At any rate, as Nick pointed out, knowingly attempting to send HTML- formatted email to a list when it is against list policy is unlikely to ingratiate you to its readers.

-- Phil

* For searches and help try: